Wednesday, May 20, 2015

What, How & Why: A Closer Look - Featuring Rose Anderson


At iPrintfromHome.com, we work with artists and photographers from across the United States and Canada. We're inspired everyday by the images that they send to us and by the stories they share.
In our "What, How & Why" interview series, we take a closer look at some of these fascinating people.


We've asked each participating artist or photographer three simple questions:

1. What do you do?

2. How do you do it?
3. Why do you use iPrintfromHome.com?

Please read on to find out more about Rose Anderson.
















Rose Anderson
Nature Photographer and Digital Artist
Parkville, MD

What do you do?
I am a nature photographer and digital artist in Baltimore, Maryland. I have spent most of my life on the Chesapeake Bay, in love with the watershed and all of its history and wild creatures. Human life has become disconnected from nature in many ways, and my aim is to restore that connection.

How do you do it?
I take photos of birds and butterflies in the moments where they seem to have the most in common with humans, or where the composition of a photo and the pose of a tiny creature calls to mind childhood storybook illustrations. This means a lot of time out in the field with my camera waiting for the little guys to cooperate. 


For most of the butterfly shots I did this year, I focused on facial features and human-like interactions, which meant a lot of time sitting, kneeling, or lying on the ground to photograph them on their level or from underneath. I felt it was a way to express a deeper connection to them, and I am using the images as a way to encourage better wild field conservation practices in my local area. I created a series of butterfly closeups called "fairies of the fields". A spinoff of this is my "made of motion" series, which features butterflies flying and making motion blurs with their wings. 

Before I switched my focus to butterflies this year, I was working on a series of photos in which birds seem to interact or move together in ways that mimic our human relationships. I tend to focus almost exclusively on detail shots and pictures of one or just a couple creatures. I do some landscape shots and pictures of people, all of which involve the history and quaintness of the Chesapeake Bay, as well as some artwork I've done to celebrate well-known landmarks in Baltimore where I live. 

Once I have taken the photos, the real work of texturing them in PhotoShop begins. I add sometimes as many as 10 layers of effects, textures, and color fills to get the effect of storybook illustrations or paintings. I sometimes call myself a digital illustrator, although everything I do has to have an unaltered photo underneath. I love photography because it always represents a real moment in time, even when I layer effects on top of it.

Why do you use iPrintfromHome.com?
I use iPrintfromHome.com because the prints are just amazing in their quality and depth. I don't compromise in my work, and iPrintfromHome has exceeded my expectations every time so far. The service is amazing, and you can't beat the savings if you order large numbers of chromogenic prints

Contact Information:



Rose Anderson
RoseAndersonBaltimore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be reviewed before being published.